Monday, April 27, 2020

Running for an Elected Office in the Time of COVID19

In 2016 I ran for the Governing Board for Gilbert Public Schools.  There were three seats available with four people running.  I actually had to campaign.  It was really interesting.  I had to raise money, which is very difficult for me.  I HATE to ask people for money for anything for myself.  Fortunately, I won by a lot of votes with a very low budget.  I was so touched by the number of former students who I taught, the kiddos and parents I worked with as a principal, and the teachers and staff I had worked with through the years.  I was touched that I was able to get so many signatures to get on the ballot and then the number of votes I was able to get.

This year started out fine.  I had a committee of people working for me with Meagen Winter heading it up.  I got petitions ready and Lori Wood and Reed Carr, who were elected with me, decided we should work together.  Both Lori and Reed are very far apart from me politically, but we have worked together incredibly well and have respected each other and what we stand for.  I love living in Gilbert and totally respect the community and what is expected.  

After the "shutter in" getting signatures became very difficult.  Reed wrote a post and Lori came up with a "meme" for us to put out on Facebook together.  I can only say that I was totally touched that they included me in this.  We sent it out on Facebook and asked people to print off our petitions and just get signatures from their families.  Every two and three signatures would add up to the 400 we need.

I have been touched to the point of tears of the parents, teachers and community members who have come together to support us.  As of today, I think I am over the 400 needed.  However, some of the signatures could be from people in Gilbert who don't live in the District.  It is so confusing.  Last election, I had over 800 signatures so there was no problem.   I don't think there will be this time either.   I have had several petitions left under my "pug" mat by my door.  I have also had so many people share our post asking for signatures.  What has meant the most to me, is what they have said when they ask for signatures.  Once again, no matter what happens, I am so privileged to have worked with so many wonderful  people and to have them say such nice things means more than any will ever know.

I completely understand the social distancing that we need right now. I know that we need to save lives and protect our health care workers who are doing so much in these horrible times.  I also know how important it is that we have elected officials in the next election who can step up to the times and I know that I can.  

I can't begin to thank so many people.  I am looking forward to another four years (hopefully) in serving this wonderful community that I love.  And I also know that I need this in my life.  I am a social person so this has been very difficult for me.  That is why the posts and comments have meant so much.

I can't begin to thank all of the wonderful people that I have know for the last 49 years.  I look forward to being able to say that I have spent 50 (plus) years as an educator and I hope that by then, we can have a celebration!!!  After all as I always say, I put the FU in FUN!!!

0 remarks: