Sunday, April 26, 2020

Sheltering in Place--Pandemic Like I Have Never Seen

We are now into almost six weeks of "confinement" with this very scary virus that is killing so many people.  As much as I hate it, I totally support and understand what we are having to do to keep the already horrendous death toll from getting completely out of control.

I can't ever remember anything like this in my lifetime as there has never been anything like this.  I do remember when I was very young, polio was extremely scary and hit a lot of people, especially children.  I recall that we weren't able to go to the public pool in Douglas and that was always the highlight of my summers growing up.  I don't know when it was and haven't taken the time to look it up.  

One of the scariest parts for me was when a teenager who was the daughter of our head Phelps Dodge doctor contracted it and she was in an iron lung.   They would bring her to Sunday mass at St. Lukes and I can still see that iron lung and still hear it.

When the first vaccine came out, I do remember getting it immediately and later it was put on sugar cubes.  I also remember being in Brownies and we would do a fundraiser in downtown Douglas.  We had a line and would stand together and chant, "put a dime on the line to help fight polio."  People would put dimes down and we would obviously send it to wherever they were collecting money for research.   I don't know if that was before or after the vaccine came out.  I kind of think it was after the vaccine but before the sugar cube drops.

We have been very careful about going anywhere.   I have been to the grocery store and Sam's a few times.  We have had two Governing Board meetings that were closed to the public and we were sitting far apart.   Our next meeting on Tuesday is going to be on WebEx.   Dave and I took a drive one day to Payson, had lunch at Burger King and then drove home.   He had never been there and we just needed to get out.  Other than that we have stayed home.  

I have read a lot of books, which has been good because I hadn't been reading for awhile.   We have watched way too much television and I have to say there have been a few days that I have yelled at the television and our "fearful" leader!

This was one of the things I worried about being retired has been happening right now.  However, being on the Board has kept me busy and that hasn't been taking any of my time lately with no school.  

I have had a hard time writing for some reason, but I am absolutely going to do my best to get back into it again as it is something I have always enjoyed.

TO BE CONTINUED......

0 remarks: