Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Sheltering in Place (24/7)

It was only a few months ago that Dave and I went on a cruise to the Caribbean with Jessie and Elise.   During the months since the cruise, we have attended many functions and have been busy.  I have had my board duties, as well as my social times with friends.  Dave has his golfing and pickle ball and swimming at the gym.   But my point with all of this, although we have spent a lot of time together, we each had other things to do and other people to be around.
 
When we met over two years ago, I had been single for almost 39 years.  Dave was married for many years and so he didn't have the number of years that I had.   Most of my 39 years was spent having others living with me from my kids, Cameron and my Aunt Teresa.   The last year, I lived by myself for the very first time in my life.   I have to say I liked it because I didn't have to do anything for anyone and just could do what I wanted to do.   I have always been very social, so it wasn't an issue as I kept busy with friends, etc.
 
Then I met Dave and my whole world changed.  I was a bit nervous about being retired and spending so much time with someone after my 39 years of being single.  However, because of our outside interests and our mutual love of sports, etc., it was never a problem at all.  He has always been supportive of my board duties and my many long time friendships.   I am happy that he has his own interests and has made friends here in Gilbert.  
 
When we are in Butte for the summers, it took me a little bit of time to get acclimated to living there, but it didn't take long.  Butte and Montana has so many things to do and see.  And we had friends from Arizona visiting both summers.
 
Then our world completely changed on March 15 when we were in Butte and everything closed down.  The next day we flew back to Arizona and on the 17th, Arizona issued a sheltering in place order.
 
For the first few weeks, it was okay.  I was able to get out a few times to go to the grocery store or Sam's.  We also had a couple of  board meetings where we socially distanced.  Dave has been able to continue to golf as they have it set up with each person getting their own carts and everything sanitized, etc.  (I am personally thankful for that as he REALLY enjoys golfing!). 
 
I was walking every day for exercise, but now it has gotten too hot for that.   Our Board meeting tonight is on Webex.  Sam's is limiting how many people can get in and basically I am not going anywhere.  We have watched way too much television news and  watched a few movies. I have read several books which is good for me.
 
But the purpose for this post is that despite all of this togetherness, I must say it has been fine.  I never thought I could go to being on my own, to being retired, then married, to this!   And it has been okay.  We really get along well and he puts up with me ranting at the television every now and then!
 
I totally understand why we are doing this.  There is too much at stake not to take precautions.  However, I will be VERY happy when this is over for many reasons. 
 
We are possibly going to head to Montana a bit earlier than usual as I don't have graduations to attend.  Montana also did things earlier than Arizona and the population is so much smaller.  They are starting to open up next week.
 
So all and all, it has been an okay experience, despite the sadness of this entire pandemic.   And fairly soon, Dave and I will be trying to figure out a way to celebrate our second anniversary.  I am blessed to have found this wonderful man!

0 remarks: