Thursday, November 11, 2021

CHEMO---The Beginning of this Journey

Wednesday, November 10, was the beginning of the "To Be Continued..." Journey.   I had my first day of chemotherapy.  Patrick drove me to the "less than a mile" doctor's office and helped me take what I was bringing up to the office.  
 
I wasn't sure what to bring.  I had information from the doctor gave me, but still wasn't sure.  So I packed a half of a sandwich, a bag of nuts, cheese and crackers, sugar free hard candy and two cans of seltzer water. I also took a blanket, headphones to listen to my audible book, my ipad and a charger! Can't be without my technology!  So I had a bag and a small "ice" chest.  It was fine.
 
I wore my "muumuu" with an undershirt under it, socks and shoes.  I truly looked like a bag lady on her way to "begging."  Maybe that is where I was headed--begging the chemo to do its magic! Everyone else was dressed normally, but I am only two weeks out of surgery so I am still have a sore abdomen.  
 
We went to the treatment room where they have about 10 recliner chairs.  EVERYONE in this office is incredible.  They are so nice and so kind and did everything to make me comfortable.  
 
I haven't had a chance to get a port put in, but will have it before next round.  Instead they put the IV needle in my arm on the top.  It did not hurt at all and today I do not even have a bruise which usually happens to me.  
 
They started the IV and I got a variety of "things" prior to the start of the chemo.  This included a steriod, anti nausea meds, Pepcid, saline benedryl.........  They didn't get started with the actual chemo drugs (I have two different kinds) until almost noon.  Because it was my first time,the first 15 minutes were slow but I was totally fine. 
 
In the morning, the nurses were so busy getting everyone situated and many of the ladies were sleeping  because of the benedryl.  Every time I would try to go to sleep, I had to go to the bathroom.  That in itself was an adventure.  It made me glad for the clothes I was wearing---I won't describe this any further.

After everyone got started on the chemo, the nurses were working at the desk and just checking as needed.  Each one of the machines had a timer and would beep when it was time to stop or change or whatever.

This is when the five or so ladies of various ages started talking.  It was great for me because they all had been through this more than once so I got a lot of tips.  None of them had their hair and wore cute caps.  One of the younger ladies, who is absolutely beautiful, told me she is a "lifer."  It is a long story but sounds like a bit of a screw up with her surgeon (not our doctor) and so she was diagnosed with stage 4.  After this treatment, she will have to come in  and get a new drug that is only 30 minutes each time.  She has a wonderful attitude.

Perhaps the highlight of the day when they (old ladies, too) started talking about taking gummies. They were talking about the benefits to them. They gave me all kinds of advice in case I ever decide or need to use them.  At one point a nurse came over to check my machine and I told her she might not want to listen to this conversation.  She just smiled and said she had heard it all.  I told her about me being an educator and  I had heard it all, too.  

I got home about 4.  I was a bit tired and  had no appetite, but other than that, I was fine.  I drank some protein because the nurse practitioner told me that eating is very important.  We went to bed around 9 and I slept very well all night--better than I have in a long time.

This morning when I got up, I did everything on the "list" and made myself eat an egg.  I am still not hungry.  Then I went on a walk and made it .55 miles!!   The only side effect I have right now is that I am a bit shaky.  Other than that, I am good.  I am hoping it continues as tomorrow is the day it could (notice I used the word "could) hit.

So I am taking it one day at a time.   I want to have as normal a life as possible.  That is the part that "SUCKS".   Because of COVID, I can't plan on going to very many places.  We aren't going to our family Thanksgiving because some of the cousins haven't been vaccinated.  I understand this is their choice, but it makes me sad that their choices impact the lives of other, especially people like me. I am going to make a big deal of it but my cousin, Cecilia, knows and agrees.

It is almost noon on Thursday, so I am going to "drink" my lunch but it won't be my drink of choice.  Dave is golfing, which I am so grateful that he can have this outlet.  If is wasn't for Patrick, he would have to stay here with me.

TO BE CONTINUED...!!!!!
 
 

1 remarks:

Nancy Proffitt said...

Sounds like you’ve got this Sheila!