Wednesday, November 24, 2021

Prodding, Poking, Pricking and "Needling" (What a Few Weeks)!

 It has been two weeks today since I had my first chemo. Since then, I have had a port put in last Wednesday. I don't think there is a vein left in my body that hasn't been "pricked."

Fortunately other than fatigue, I didn't have too many side effects from the chemo. Sunday night and Monday were a bit uncomfortable, but nothing worse.  I didn't have any nausea and still have my hair. Even though I haven't lost any hair, it feels more sparse.

Last Wednesday, Dave took me to Gilbert Mercy to have the port put in.  It is outpatient, but takes a few hours.  I was awake the whole time, but didn't feel a thing. 


 

Prior to having the port put in, the nurses had to put in an IV.  They also had to take blood.  Oftentimes, finding a vein is difficult.  The tech at Dr. Bhoola's is great and has not  had any problems.  They had trouble and called the lab.  A phlebotomist came to try to find a vein on my left arm.  This was after many previous "stabs."   As she was trying to find the vein, she accidentally hit a nerve.   WOW!  That hurt like HELL!  I am still having problems with my left arm.  Every time I go to reach for something, it my entire arm and hand stings.  It is kind of sad that the stinging is the worst pain, but I guess I should also feel fortunate.

When we got home, I was a bit drowsy.  However, I felt pretty good.  Had some trouble sleeping because I was sore on my right side and my neck.  Actually, I think I have been almost more sore from this than the hysterectomy!

So in four weeks and two days, I have had major surgery, a round of chemo, a port put in, a nerve hit and I AM STILL STANDING!  I think that is remarkable!!

I am so grateful to all of those who have reached out to me through texts, calls, cards, meals and so much thoughtfulness.

Dave's family has been awesome!  I love his cousins.  They are now my family, too!  His cousins sent me the best tea cup because they know me.  It is perfect!!

Tomorrrow is Thanksgiving.  I truly have much to be thankful for and I am!  Dave is a rock in my life.  Patrick has truly stepped up to help in so many ways.  And I don't know what I would do without Judy.  I am just sad that we can't get together with the extended family because I still to be extremely careful.  Arizona is one of the worst states for COVID right now and my immune system certainly couldn't take any exposure even though I am vaccinated and boosted.  Unfortunately, not everyone understands the importance of this--not just for themselves, but for others like me.
 
We will just have a small gathering tomorrow.  We plan to use paper plates and eat on the patio.  We have the wood ready for a fire in the firepit if needed. Tonight I am going to make the dressing and tomorrow candied sweet potatoes and beer bread.  Judy is bringing the turkey and a salad and Kerri is making a string bean casserole and will do the mashed potatoes.  It will be nice!
 
So all in all, things are positive.  I feel good, just a bit fatigued.  AND I AM THANKFUL for so much in my life.
 
TO BE CONTINUED............

0 remarks: