Thursday, August 25, 2016

An Amazing Young Man!



My amazing grandson, Cameron, turns 18 on September 1.  It is hard to imagine that.  He is a senior at Mesquite High School.    

Cameron is so smart and has been reading and soaking up information for as long as I can remember.  He can talk about just about any subject and he has facts to back things up.   He has one of the brains where he retains everything he reads or hears.    

He doesn't do as well in school as he is capable of and that has caused many a "chat" through the years.  Through my many years in education, I know that this happens a lot of times with really bright kids.  We are hoping that he will find his niche soon as he can be and do anything that he wants to  in the future!  In elementary school, he was a bit of a challenge.   However, every one of his teacher loves him to this day!   

Whenever we have a family gathering, Cameron is wonderful with all of the younger cousins.  They love him and he always has a bunch of little cousins around him.

Cameron was only four when my mom died.   My mom was always strict with me and with my kids, but she was absolutely crazy about Cameron.   No one was "allowed" to discipline him when she was around.  For those of you who knew my mom, you can understand how unusual that was!!   And the fact that he called her "Great" certainly was a plus!!!

Through the years I have watched him with Teresa.  He has called her Tia ever since he could talk.     They have always had a special bond, but over the last several months, watching it has absolutely warmed my heart.

Tia  came to live with us permanently around the first of July.   She can't be left alone anymore and since I am not working, we all felt this was the best arrangement.   Going back and forth between Judy's and my house was starting to be confusing for her.   She just turned 94 at the end of July and has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.   Some days are better than others, but she is still truly one of the sweetest people ever!!

We "hired" Cameron to help me out with her care and have paid him for the hours that he puts in.    If I needed to be somewhere early in the morning, he set his alarm and was up here sleeping on the couch until she got up.  

But to watch the tenderness in the way he treats her truly melts our hearts.    He is so kind to her and most of the time when he walks by her, he stops and puts his hand on her shoulder and gives her a kiss and tells her he loves her.  And he does this even when he has friends over and they see him doing it.  It is obvious she feels the same way.  Often during the day she will ask me when he will be home.  

Watching him grow up into the honorable, caring, and loving young man he has become, has been wonderful to see!!  I know that given some time, he will figure out what he wants to do in his life and it wouldn't surprise me if he does something that will be a great benefit to our society.     


The fact that Cameron, an almost 18 year old young man gets this, speaks volumes about who he is and what he will become down the road. His mom has done right in raising him to be who he is and I am glad I have been able to be a part of it, too!  Love that BOY!!!!

1 remarks:

Meagen Winter said...

Cameron is amazing. Teens really are compassionate creatures. It has been fun watching him grow. I'm glad he was born.