Monday, July 20, 2020

Post 3--COVID19

I know that the economy and money are extremely important to get our country back.  I understand that many people are suffering because of missing work and having a hard time getting unemployment benefits.  I get all of this.   Fortunately, Dave and I aren't having to deal with this because we are retired and have our benefits as a result of working hard for many years.

Funding for our schools if we go back has to be increased to provide for all that is needed to keep everything clean and up to CDC standards.  I believe that will mean that there will be more staff needed to keep classrooms clean and sanitized.  When I was a principal, our custodians were stretched thin.  I can't imagine that it has gotten any better.

But one particular issue that I absolutely believe has to be looked at is the cost for one case of a person going to the hospital with COVID19.  My friend's husband is going home today after 32 days in the hospital and I believe that 21 of those days were on a ventilator.  Many people need PT, OT and speech therapy after recovering. I can't imagine what the cost of just one person will be.

I would never base any decision I make about this horrible virus on the financial piece,  but I think it is important that we look into the medical costs and what it could do to our insurance costs in the future.  I don't have the answers to this question, but that alone is a scary thing.  I imagine that the costs are astronomical for just one patient.  Think about multiplying that by an unknown number of employees who come down with this awful virus and have to be hospitalized.   

I remember many years ago when we wrote a grant and hired the first social worker in our district.  I had a conversation with her about some of her job duties.  The main reason I wanted a social worker was to help meet children's social and emotional needs so that they could succeed academically.  However, I told her that one thing I would like her to work on was attendance.  Not only should a child be at school for academic and social needs, their presence helped with funding.  I wanted to be able to keep this position after the grant ran out and when you can "bring in money" that can help with decision making about keeping a position.  I am proud to say that as of this school year, every school will have a social worker!!  So 30 plus years later, maybe that part helped keep these very important positions!

0 remarks: