Wednesday, April 2, 2008

A Sentimental Journey


Late this afternoon I received a phone call from my aunt, Teresa. She wanted to take us to dinner tonight because she wanted us all to be together. Now that isn't an unusual request from Teresa because our family is so important to her. For this to happen on a Wednesday was a bit unusual. We usually go out to dinner on the weekend if she is here. I knew that she was watching Cameron today because it was a half day. She and Cameron have a very special bond and maybe that was why she wanted to go out. He is so tender with her and she loves everything about him. Teresa has always been the one in our family who loves everyone no matter what. She always finds the good in everyone and has such an incredible outlook on life.

So we went to dinner at a bar and grill close to our house. For some reason, Teresa was even more sentimental tonight than I have seen her in a long time. It may have to do with Mary's health. I don't know. She said something tonight that I haven't heard her say for awhile. She said she wished my mom could have been with us. As we were leaving, she said that she was teary because she was the only one left. I can't imagine what it would be like to be the last surviving sibling, but I do know that we are very fortunate to have Teresa in our lives!

Teresa is the last one of the seven Scott brothers and sisters. She is truly the matriarch of our family. She goes to every family event. My cousins are wonderful to her and always make sure that she is given a special place in whatever family event we are participating in.

Last summer, we celebrated her 85th birthday. Over 100 relatives braved the Arizona summer to be here for a weekend in July. They came to honor this incredible lady who loves each and every one of us unconditionally. Her comment was that her brothers and sisters had done something right with all of these wonderful nieces and nephews.

In my life I don't think I have ever or will ever encounter a person more loving or giving than Teresa. As I said, she always sees the best in people and in every situation. Our family and our many friends are blessed to have her in our lives. Anyone who knows her will agree, I am sure.

Thank you, Teresa, for your kindness, your faith, and your absolute support and love!!!!!!

8 remarks:

barb said...

I know that I have loved Aunt Teresa since I met her. I always get a little "grandmother" fix anytime I see her. I haven't had my beloved BigMama in my life now for three years and I still miss her and my BigDaddy every day. Aunt Teresa helps fill a void for me as I can feel her love each time I see her. I imagine she doesn't even realize this, but it is true!
Love, Barb

Anonymous said...

What a special tribute to Aunt Teresa. She has always treated me like I was one of the family and I also love her dearly!
Love & hugs,
Nancy

Anonymous said...

Oh, Sheila...thank you for sharing this beautiful picture of your Cameron and our lovely Teresa! I want this picture and Tom is going to try and get it off your blog to our file. I will treasure this picture always! Your mom and Aunt Teresa brought such joy to Tom and myself as children, but then we were blessed once again to have them in our lives as adults! I just feel at peace when I am next to Teresa, listening to her stories and kind words. It never ceases to amaze me how she knows the names of all the kids in the Scott family even the little new borns. I tease her about it! She has the same little Irish giggle my dear mother had!!
I call her our little Angel on Earth! Tom and I love her dearly!
Sandra

Carol Dunton said...

What a beautiful post about a beautiful spirit and what a priceless picture!! Aunt Teresa holds such a special place in my heart. Each time we meet, she greets me with a hug and a kiss and a tender 'How are you doing?'... Sharing dinner and words of wisdom with this lovely, most kind lady have enriched my life. Aunt Teresa has shared her views on many things in life with me, and I have always taken her wisdom and her advice to heart. How can you not? Look at how wonderfully this woman lives!!! We should all be so lucky to have such a long, healthy, beautiful life! Sheila, you have been so very, very gracious in sharing your family with me...and among those treasured times have been those spent with Aunt Teresa. I love her deeply.
Carol

Anonymous said...

She is truly one of the greatest!

Patrick

Anonymous said...

I, personally, don't know what I would do without Teresa - and don't want to imagine the world and my life (and Cameron's) without her. She has ALWAYS supported me, no matter what (even when she probably should have written me off for one infraction or another). To this day, when something is really heavy on my mind or bothering me, I can call her and count on her to tell me what to do to make it all that much more easy to deal with. I love Teresa so much...

Kerri

Anonymous said...

Our Dear Aunt Teresa!!! If there is a Saint on this Earth, it most certainly is this dear soul! She is such a blessing and and inspiration to EVERYONE around her! Her gentleness, kindness, and genuine concern for everyone is truly remarkable! She's the type of person who has never met a stranger--once she's met you, she automatically includes you as an important part of her "family"! Her deep faith in God is admirable. No matter what the issue, at the first sign of trouble, you can bet that Aunt Teresa has her rosary beads in hand, paving the way for peace and resolution. (I can't tell you how many times we've counted on her!) I've honestly never known a more genuine, accepting, understanding, and loving person in my life than Aunt Teresa! With her life-long role modeling of such remarkable virtues, it's no wonder the Scott family--each and every one of them--are such fine people! I love you SO much, Aunt Teresa!
Lots of love,
Dottie

Susie of Arabia said...

I haven't seen Teresa in so many years, and I must say, she looks mahhhhh-velous!!! She is just as I remember her. How does she do it? At any rate, I really enjoyed reading your nice tribute to her. You are so fortunate to have such a warm and loving aunt like Teresa in your life.