Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Miscellaneous Musings from Montana in July

As our lives have started to slow down and we are able to just enjoy being together and being here in Butte, it as been quite an experience in so many ways.  I have lived with family members for almost my entire life.   From having my kids, to having them live with me as adults, having Cameron live with me for so many years, to living with Teresa in Douglas for five years and then having her off and on after 2015, I have always shared a home.

In October after getting the house in Douglas cleaned out and sold, I came back to Gilbert and to having no one living with me.  As much as I loved having family with me, it was so nice to not have anyone living with me.  I was able to get the house in order and get rid of a lot of things that weren't needed.

Then in December, I met Dave and everything changed in so many ways and I mean that in the most positive of ways.

We have been on the go for several months.  Spending almost 24/7 with someone after being single for so long has been a huge adjustment for me.  In Gilbert, I had a lot of other things going on and Dave was busy with golf and pickle ball.

Here in Butte, he is still doing these activities plus going fishing.  It has been an adjustment for me to not have anything that I have to do and not having any "personal" friends here.  However, I have loved getting to know his friends and family.

One of the important decisions that we made when we decided to get married, was that we would go ahead and get married right away.  Because Dave has not had his marriage annulled in the church, we couldn't get married in the church.  I had mine annulled in the 80's.  I remember it being a very painful experience to fill out the paperwork at that time.  What is required today, is way less compared to what I had to do.

I know it has been weighing on Dave's mind that he needed to get his paperwork done.  So Sunday, he sat down and completed it.  I know it was a difficult day for him to go back and think about his long marriage and why it didn't work out.  I tried to help him as best I could.  A few times we talked through things that he has told me.  One of the many things I admire about Dave is that he is not bitter and holds no grudges.   He did the best he could for such a long time and decided that for him that he needed to get out of the marriage.    I have to say that I am glad that he did or he wouldn't have come into my life!

He got it all done and is waiting to hear back from the priest as to when he can submit everything.  I can tell what a relief it has been to him.  It has been amazing to watch the transformation in him now that it is done and behind him.

It is a very emotional and difficult task to go over why a marriage didn't work and to actually put it down in writing.  For us, we have been able to talk about some of the things that happened in his relationship and make sure that we can work through them in our marriage.

I am glad it is behind him.  I just hope that it doesn't take a long time for everything to get taken care of so that we can get our marriage blessed in the church.  Although I want to see that happen, it is more important to him, than it is to me.  I feel that we are truly married in every sense of the definition and I love Dave with my whole heart and soul.   He is such a good man and I can't believe that he is a part of my life.

Like any relationship, we have to work through issues, but we do and we can talk.  I am an over communicator and he isn't always as communicative as he could be (a  man, right), but we are doing well.  The fact that we are together so much and doing so well together is amazing in itself.

Marriage at this stage in our lives is a true joy and I feel that we both have learned and have much to give to each other because of our previous experiences.

We laugh a lot and I know that I make him laugh and enjoy life more than he has before.  He keeps me grounded, which isn't always an easy task. 

What a blessing this man has been for me!!   And I will always believe that my dear Aunt Teresa had a huge hand in this!  So now, Teresa, could you please try to speed the annulment process up a bit so we can get our marriage blessed?  I know it would be important to you and my mom!

0 remarks: