Monday, January 15, 2018

Carmen Agra Deedy, Storyteller Extraordinaire!



Several years ago, I found a children's book at a workshop that was held at Gilbert El.  This special book, "The Last Dance," has become my absolute favorite book ever.   It is a beautiful story about the cycle of life and the importance of family.   I have used it many times when I have had to give a eulogy and always keep copies of it when someone loses a loved one.
 
I met Carmen at the IRA in Chicago awhile back and she was delightful.  When I was the superintendent in Douglas, we were fortunate to have her come two different times to tell her stories to our kids there.  She was beyond amazing.
 
When I got on the school board, there are many things I want to help accomplish, but I have two major goals that I am going to really work hard to make happen before my time is us.  I have done one and that is bring Carmen to Gilbert.
 
She was here this past Wednesday, Thursday and Friday and told her stories to over 7000 third, fourth and fifth graders.  It was an incredible three days.  She did nine sessions and never told the same story.  And each one of the stories was unique in itself.  She had the kids (and the entire audience) in the palm of her hand.  To me, seeing an entire auditorium full of children totally engaged with smiles on their faces was PERFECT in every way.  
 
Although her stories are funny, they all have a point to them.  There was a few times where I got a bit teary. 
 
The response from the teachers and other adults was equally amazing.  EVERYONE enjoyed her!  Our librarians did an incredible job of giving the children background on Carmen and her books.  The District administrations was extremely supportive.  It could not have been a better three days.
 
Carmen has become a friend and I value that so much.  She is truly a warm, compassionate and real human being and I am so  proud she came to Gilbert. I know she will be back sometime in the future.
 
Here is a quote that I got from a storytelling website:
 
"At the most basic level "Telling the Story" is a means of transmitting ideas from one person to another. [1] Storytelling is a part of life, intrinsic to most cultures. They help people make sense of the world--life’s experiences, dilemmas and hardships. Stories can educate, inspire and build rapport. They are a means of communicating, recreating, and helping preserve cultures [2] by translating memories into a more concrete manner that can be handed down verbally or in written form. Telling the story can provide the opportunity to gain a deeper understanding of one’s experiences and oneself."
 

 

0 remarks: