Sunday, October 8, 2017

94 Years Remembered in 94 Days--Post 93 (Ring)

This ring belonged to my grandmother, Katie Scott.   There is a great story behind it that I will share.   Her engagement ring went to my Aunt Dot since she was the oldest daughter.   This ring went to my mom, but she couldn't wear it.  She always had trouble with wearing jewelry, no matter how nice it was, as it turned her skin green.   So she gave it to Teresa many years ago with the idea that I would get it eventually.   In about 2012, I was home for lunch and Teresa said to me that she thought it was time I had it.  I was thrilled.  I took it down to our local jeweler in Douglas and got it cleaned and sized and have worn it ever since.

Here is the story behind the ring.   I will tell it as best I can remember it.   Apparently Grandpa Scott bought Grandma diamond earrings for one of their anniversaries.   It is my understanding it was after they moved to Douglas but I don't know the year.   

She kept losing one of the earrings which didn't sit well with him because I am sure he saved for some time to be able to buy the earrings for her.   The last time she lost one, they couldn't find it anywhere.   During that time, they had chickens in the backyard that they raised to eat.   Apparently one day after they had "killed the chicken" and were cleaning it, they found the earring in the chicken.   

I was told that Grandpa said that was it so he took the two diamond earrings down and had them made into this beautiful ring.  

I love this story.   And I love that I have the ring.  One day it will be Kerri's, but not for quite sometime and I am so proud to wear it.

Today would have been my mom's 100th birthday.   That is why I told this story today.   This ring has to be at least 100 years old, maybe more!

Happy birthday, Mom.    I love and miss you every day!  It is hard to think that we are selling this house that you and Teresa loved so much in the town you both loved so much and that my final week here will be this week.   I know you understand how hard this for me (and my kids).  The memories here are because of the wonderful family that you, Teresa and Johnny created.     The only consolation is that both of you aren't here to see this happen.   I know how difficult it was for both of you to have to come up and live with us during your final months (and for Teresa--final years).   A week from today, I will close the door at 858, look at it one last time,  and say good-bye. It will truly be the end of an era.  But I know that you would have been very happy that Teresa had five more years down here and the fact that I got to know so many great people who have made this difficult time so  much easier.  

And another amazing coincidence, tomorrow is my final post for the 94 years!




0 remarks: