Monday, October 16, 2017

The End of an Era! 1912-2017

I am writing this on Sunday evening and will post it at midnight tonight. Today the remainder of the furniture was taken out of the house.  The only thing left is the piano and it is being donated to DUSD in Teresa's memory.

There are so many people to thank who have helped me these past 2 plus weeks.   I don't know what I would have done without my wonderful former secretary AND DEAR FRIEND, Carol.  She has a lot of things that will remind her of us and I now have a bedroom at her house.   Victor from the DUSD came and moved things and took garbage.  He took some of the furniture and I had to force him to take money.    He helped us during the reunion and Teresa's 90th and helped me many times through the years.

I was able to see a lot of people I care deeply for but didn't get to see everyone.   I was really busy during the time I was there.   There are so many good people in Douglas and I will always value my time down there.

One of the most touching moments happened Saturday afternoon.  I took my favorite book, The Last Dance, over to the Hoyack's house.   Chuck, who was the Board President when I was hired in Douglas (and I have posted about this) died recently.  I was glad to be there for the funeral.   I just wanted to drop the book by, but they wanted me to come in.  So I was able to visit with Alvina, his wife and his two sons, Casey and Patrick.   We talked about many things but what really got to me was when they offered to come sleep in the house with me the last night I was there.   They are dealing with the death of their wonderful husband and father and yet, had the kindness to offer to help me.   That will never be forgotten.

Cecilia and Jay helped so much the first weekend.   Ken, Judy, Chris and Kerri came and got things that needed to be transported up.   Kerri came back this week and helped me.  I don't know what I would have done without her.

So today was the end of an era.   I locked the door and closed the gate for the last time.   Although it has been in our family since 1918, it is what I have called home for the last 68 years. It was so hard to do that and then drive away.   But I also need closure on it. 


Our grandparents moved to Douglas in 1912 and great grandparents to Bisbee in 1903.   So our family has been in Cochise County for 114 years.  However, even though it is the end of the era in Douglas, it is not the end of the era in Cochise County as we still have the cabin near Portal in the Chirichaus which is still Cochise County.  I don't foresee that ending anytime soon.

My car was filled completely and there was enough room for the pugs.  They love Douglas and the freedom to run around the front and back yards and bark their hearts out.  But like most dogs, they really want to be with the humans who love them.   And they will get time at the cabin to run free.  Just have to keep them away from the skunks!

I made it HOME to Gilbert with a few tears along the way.   My wonderful cleaners had two weeks without the house being dirty and they did a whole lot of extra things.  Cupboards were clean, the garage looks decent and it was nice to come home.   I have a lot of sorting to go through over the next few months now that Kerri and Cameron are gone.  But not for awhile. I am a bit burnt out in that department.

The one piece of furniture that I have always wanted was the desk in the hallway in Douglas that belonged to my grandfather.   Judy and Ken brought it last week and Kerri made sure it was placed in the entry way where I wanted it.   It was so touching to see this gorgeous desk when I first walked in the house.  I have  no idea how old it is, but it is still in very good condition.  Needs a bit of work, but nothing major.   So it was so great to come home and see it!
 
So tomorrow begins a new chapter in my life, which in itself seems weird after 68 plus years on this earth.   After I get some rest, I will need to figure out somethings to keep me busy.  I need to get back to my regular walking.  But the most important thing right now is to get some rest.


I am blessed with the many friendships I made in Douglas and I am happy to be back home in Gilbert with the many friends that I love.

0 remarks: