Friday, October 27, 2017

Eulogy from Cornella Reidy Berger at Joel (Eddie) Scott's Funeral

Another find going through "stuff" in Douglas. This is a eulogy that Cornella Reidy Berger gave at Eddie's funeral.    I hope that the couple of posts I have done will mean something to his sons.   And I have actually found a few more things that I will be posting in the future.

It is both an honor an a privilege to be asked this morning to reflect on what I remember and have loved so much about Eddie Scott.   I won't bother to explain that as a Reidy I am ot an "official" member of the Scott Family, because we have been a part of this wonderful large group of people all of our lives.  Matt reminded me this morning that the Scott, Reidy and Joyce families began their close ties in 1912 on 14th Street in Douglas, Arizona.  My father, Cornelius Reidy was the best man at my parents' wedding in Bisbee, Arizona.

In God's great wisdom for us, He has used ritual and sacrament to bring people together.   And so it is today that we once again come together to remember the life of Eddie Scott.   One of my earliest memories of Eddie was visiting him as a child
with my two brothers at the monastery in Santa Barbara.  It wasn't long after that we were together for his ordination and then my two brothers, Dennis and Jerry, was serving his first mass at St. Luke's Church in Douglas.

In the years that followed, Eddie was always there for his parents, his sisters and each of us if we called upon him.  He was always there to listen, never intruding, but if you asked a question--you got a straight answer.

Through much prayer and discernment,  Joel reached the decision to leave the active priesthood and marry Carmen.   It was a decision that proved to be fruitful as they are the parents of four lovely young men:  Matthew, Joel, Edward and Daniel.

God gives each of us special gifts and talents.  Joel Scott was a very gifted  man with the special ability to call those whom he met forward.   He instilled in them a sens of self-confidence and the knowledge that they were special.  There is no doubt in my mind that Joel has arrived at that beautiful dwelling place the Lord has prepared for him because it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.

It is my hope and prayer today that Matt, Carmen, Matthew, Joel, Edward, Daniel, Margaret Ellen, Pat, Marion, Cecilia, and Teresa Ann will cherish the beautiful memories that they have of their son, husband, father, and brother and that we will remain for many years to come, one large, extended, loving and prayerful family.

0 remarks: