Friday, October 13, 2017

Farewell Tour (Leaving Douglas)

Wednesday evening, Kerri and I went to dinner at the Gadsden Hotel.  We met Jeremy Long and his girlfriend and her niece.   Jeremy was on of the principals I hired when I was superintendent.    He is now the superintendent of Elfrida Elementary District.

We had a very nice visit and I think the world of him.  After dinner, we went up to the second floor outdoor patio.   I could not believe what the hew owners of the Gadsden have done to this area.   During my tenure as superintendent, I often sat up there to judge the "D" Day parade.  It was not very well kept up.  The new owners have made it into a beautiful area.  There was a DJ and music and the weather was perfect.




Thursday we drove up to the cabin to take a few things from the house.  The Brady's are up there so we just left the pillows, etc. and then stopped at the Research Station for a bit.   It is always so beautiful in the Chirichuas.  I am looking forward to a three day weekend up there with Elise and Jessie the first part of November.   The leaves are just starting to change so I imagine it will be beautiful by the time we get up there.   

We had a late lunch at the Portal Cafe.   There food is really good and there prices are very reasonable.   Although we still have a lot to do here at the house, it was good to get away for a few hours.



When we go to the cabin, the way the state border runs, we have to drive into New Mexico for about 15 miles and then back into Arizona.   This area is cattle ranching and farming.  There is a very small town called Rodeo, New Mexico.    There isn't much in the town but there are people that live on the farms and ranches.  There is one small cafe that we sometimes stop and eat at in town.   There is also the Rodeo Tavern.  Many years ago it was always open and I had a few fun times there.  

Over the past several years, when we have driven through Rodeo, it has never been open.   The last few times I noticed there were cars (trucks) there.  So we decided to stop on our way home and have a "beverage."

I was surprised to see a lot of people (for Rodeo standards) in there.  The new owner talked to us and said that it has always been open but that the old owners would close if no one was there.  She keeps it open all the posted hours and has a limited food menu.  It was fun to just sit, watch and listen to the locals.  

It rained quite hard on our way back.   When we got home, it was starting to get dark.  I went out to see if I could see the bonfire or the lighted "D" on D Hill for homecoming week.   I couldn't so went back inside.  A few minutes later, my friend, Julie, texted me and invited us up to their house as they have a great view of "D" Hill. The picture isn't very clear, but this was one of my favorite nights when I was in high school and then as superintendent.


We sat outside and had a wonderful visit with Julie and Carmen.  Julie's cousin braided Kerri's hair for her which was quite humorous. I always enjoy their company and Julie is a dear friend.   I also have a place to stay when I come down to Douglas in the future.

We are finishing packing up today and then I have my reunion tonight and tomorrow night.   This will be a fitting conclusion to the Farewell Tour.    

It has been an emotional two weeks for many reasons.   Packing up, sorting through the almost 100 years of "things" has been physically taxing.   The house is almost empty now and it is weird.  I am so glad that much of what we gave away to dear people down here will be used with love and friendship.

It was exactly two weeks ago today that I got down here.  I have had help from Cecilia and Jay and we got so much accomplished.  I can't thank Carol (my former secretary and still very dear friend) for all of her help.  All of the guys who came over and moved things and threw away trash, etc.  were all amazing.    Kerri and Chris have helped tremendously and Kerri is here now.  Judy and Ken were down last weekend and rented a truck and took back the very important furniture.  I am excited about the beautiful desk that belonged to my grandfather that is in my entry way.  I also have one cedar chest.    I have three or four containers filled with memorabilia that I need to sort through for blog posts and to get to family and friends.  But that will take time.  

I know that I absolutely need to rest the next few weeks as I am exhausted both physically and emotionally.    

I am looking forward to seeing old friends from high school tonight and tomorrow and I am thankful that I have been able to connect with so many dear people these past two weeks.

I am going to miss 858!


0 remarks: