Friday, October 20, 2017

One of the hardest parts of being an educator

One of the hardest parts of being an educator is losing a student, parent, or staff member.  I, unfortunately, had this happen way too many times.  And each time it was so difficult at so many levels.  

Last night on Facebook a wonderful parent at Gilbert El, posted that it has been 16 years since her son, Tyler, was killed in an automobile accident.   I will never forget that day.    Tyler was one of the sweetest kids in the entire world.   He was a in one of our multi-age classes at the time.  I believe he was a second grader.

I will never forget getting to school that morning and hearing this terrible news.   His classmates were so upset as were all of the teachers.  It is almost incomprehensible to try to explain this to young children.

I will also never forget his funeral services.   Several of his little friends sang a song and it was so very touching.   If he had lived, he would have probably already graduated from college because I know of several of the children in his class have graduated.

I lost touch with his mom through the years but thought about her often.  I knew she still lived close to Gilbert El.   Then one day I found out she had remarried and was pregnant with triplets. She had three boys.   A child can NEVER be replaced, but I was so thrilled for Donita to have three boys.

My last year as principal at Gilbert El the boys were in preschool. They were so cute!

When I came back and decided to run for the board, Donita and her family were some of my biggest supporters.   The boys were still at Gilbert El and probably in about fourth grade.    They took signs and helped put up  the big ones for me.   They posted pictures of the boys with my signs.    It was amazing.

Tyler was a wonderful little boy who touched the hearts of a lot of people. He will always hold a special place in my heart as does his mom and her family. I was devastated when this happened and don't believe that I did anything more than anyone should do in a time like this.  However, to have his mom do so much to help me get elected meant more than words can ever explain.

Unfortunately, this happened more than one time during my years as an educator.   As a principal, we lost children to  accidents and to cancer. We also lost several staff members.  It was always a very difficult time.  I remember thinking one time that the true definition of being a leader is to be the one who doesn't fall apart when everyone else is.   I always had to remain calm and help all of my staff, kiddos, and families get through these horrible times when my heart was breaking, too.

0 remarks: