Friday, January 28, 2022

Scanned, Scanned, and Scanned

Since this cancer journey began in September, I think I have had every scan possible, including ones that I never even heard of before.

It started with what I think was a CAT Scan in September by the gastroenterologist which determined there was a mass on the endometrium or bladder.  I next went to to my primary care doctor who ordered and MRI.   After the results of that, I went to a gynecologist and had the biopsy.   After it was determined that I needed to see a gynecology oncologist. I think I have documented everything on this early.  During that week before surgery I had an x-ray.   Following the third chemo treatment, I had another type of CAT Scan that came out pretty good.  My doctor and I decided to be on the safe side so he scheduled me for an appointment.  I saw the radiation doctor last week who wants to eliminate a couple of areas that there could be concerns about.  If there is any concern, then he will know that he will have to use radiation in those areas.

Last Monday I went to his office for a planning scan.  It appeared to be similar to a CAT scan with the exception that they didn't inject anything into me this time.

This morning I went to a facility that does all kinds of scans and had a PET Scan.  My instructions were to do absolutely nothing yesterday and just rest.  I could not eat any  carbs so I had a steak and asparagus.   Missed my favorite--potatoes, but the steak was delicious.  If I had been thinking better, I would have requested either crab legs or lobster!  DAMN!!!

I couldn't read for 45 minutes after they put the radioactive dye in.  I thought that was strange but she said it can throw off the results.  For me not being able to read is really a punishment.  However, I have Audible books on my iPhone  so I was able to pass the time.  The actual scan only took about 20 minutes.  I was there for about two hours.   Dave was so sweet and took me and stayed the whole time.  

My only instructions after were not to be around pregnant women or children because I am radioactive for about six hours.   And I am so glad to have the port as I don't think I have very many veins left to poke or prod.

The doctors will use this scan as well as the one last Monday and come up for a plan for treatment.  Each individual is different.   I am anxious to get started next Thursday.  It will be everyday, but times and order could be changed.

The one funny think that happened was we were in the back of the building.  The bathroom I could use said something for "PET ONLY."   I was trying to figure out if they do scans on pets when all of it sudden it dawned on me that it meant for PET Scan patients only.  I am really glad it didn't ask her that question and figured it out before I asked.

It is now about 3:30.  I ate a bit and took all my meds when I got home. I then went back to bed and slept for almost four hours.  Not sure if the scan zapped my energy or just the worry and anticipation.   I am currently drinking the electrolyte drink to see if I can get some energy back.

All in all, I couldn't ask for better doctors and the kindness of all of the people I have encountered.  I absolutely feel I am in the best hands and I truly appreciate that I don't have to wait long periods of time for appointments, etc.   In many ways, I am truly fortunate.

This journey has also allowed me to reflect on a lot of things, which has been good for me.

I continue to be blessed with so many friends who check up on my regularly.   Dave has been my rock.  His calm and kind ways I know have been tested, but his love for me has been something I never knew I would experience.  I don't know what I would do without Judy.   She has been here for support and so much more.  Patrick has also stepped up and does so much of the daily "chores" that need to be done.  

All in all, this is certainly not something I want to go through, but I am thankful for how it has unfolded and thankful to the many people who are helping me navigate this journey.

TO BE CONTINUED...........!! 

0 remarks: