Thursday, May 21, 2020

Graduation and End of Year 2020

Another long post from me (and it is written with a few tears in my eyes).  First of all, I would like to thank all of our wonderful educators, administrators, and support staff for making these past few months the best that they could under very difficult circumstances. And kids and parents, there are no words. 

When I was an elementary principal, one of my favorite end of the year activities was kindergarten graduation. Then we started doing the sixth grade walk and I will admit at both of these events, I shed a few tears. I always "hated" the end of the year and saying good-bye to kids for the summer, especially our sixth graders. I have seen so many posts from teachers about how sad that they are that closure looked so different--no hugs and no end of the year fun activities. 

This week was supposed to be our high school graduations and baccalaureate ceremonies. Over the years I have been on the GPS Board, I have been able to attend several of these activities. And I loved it!! To our 2020 seniors, thank you for all that you have done and your positive spirit. I know all of us wish things could have been different. I do believe that GPS did probably the most outstanding graduation anywhere. Tonight this ceremony will be available. 

Thank you to our wonderful District administration and high school principals and staff for making this happen. 

Students, you will go down in history for this year and what has happened. You are the future of our country and our world and I know you will make a difference. I am sorry that it ended this way for you but I tend to look at the positives. So many wonderful things have happened to celebrate each of you in a different way. On a personal level, I have so loved handing out diplomas at graduations over the last few years. I am missing that. I particularly miss being at the Mesquite High graduation where I always was able to say that I gave many of these wonderful kiddos their kindergarten diplomas. So congratulations to all of our students at every level. You have so much to be proud of and I am sure that we are going to be better because of what you will do in the future!!!! I can not express how much being an educator at so many levels for 49 years means--this year more than ever.


0 remarks: