Monday, April 25, 2022

One Day at a Time Certainly Applies!

One day at a time has certainly been something that I have had to realize the importance of and try to adhere to it during this journey.

After everything I have dealt with and the setbacks with the radiation, things have been looking so much better.  Although my lack of strength and energy is frustrating, I do know that I can't push myself and have to understand I will get it back even if it takes some time.

This last week I have done more things around the house than I have in quite sometime.  Often times when I do some things, I have to sit down for a bit before I can continue.  And just the little rest helps me to finish or do another chore.

I have been feeling good other than this lack of energy.   It has been a good feeling to be able to do a few things and to be up most of the day without having to lay down or take a nap.

Yesterday I wrote about the light at the end of the tunnel.  Today I went in to get my blood drawn for chemo on Wednesday.  I have never had an issues with my blood levels before chemo.   The only time there was any concern was when I was going through the electrolyte issue and my blood work was not good at all.   Three weeks ago, it was fine and that was after all that had happened to my body. 

I went in today and found out that my platelets are lower than they should be.  I have had such a hard time eating much of anything but it hasn't been any different than any other time.  I have not eaten well but I have done good with drinking a lot of water.  Food just hasn't been  appealing.

The nurse told me that they would test me again on Wednesday and then the doctor would decide what to do if they are still low.    He will either not give me as much chemo or have to postpone this session.  I asked her what I could do and she said to eat a lot and make sure that I ate a lot of protein.  

Needless to say, I was and am discouraged about this.  I came home and looked up what were the best foods for protein.  I ate avocados, scrambled an egg and Dave made me a protein shake.  This was all after 2:00.   I ate all of everything and was completely full.  Patrick fixed chicken and a delicious vegetable mix of spinach, broccoli and zucchini.  I ate more than I usually do and it was hard to force it down.

If it gets postponed, that will mean that everything will get moved back however much time is needed.  I want to be done for many reasons and I want to be able to get to Montana.

I have my "menu" all planned for tomorrow.  It is hard to eat when I am not hungry but I just took my time and made myself eat every bite.  

And on another note, my hair had started to grow back because prior to three weeks ago, I hadn't had chemo since December.  The last three days it has been falling out again--nothing like before as I don't have that much hair.  But it made me realize that it is going to take  some time to grow back.  

I have to be patient and accept that so many of the issues I have had are out of my control.  And I just have to make myself eat regularly.   And remember that this journey is truly one day at a time!

Here's to a lot of protein eaten over the next day and a half and positive results Wednesday morning!!

TO BE  CONTINUED...........................! 

0 remarks: