Saturday, April 2, 2022

February and March

For me to try to briefly summarize what has transpired between my last blog post and today would be so much to write and I am sure I would lose my audience.  So I am going to try to make it is a brief as possible but still telling the story.  Please bear with me if I don't have dates and times correctly.

I started off with radiation and made it for about  a week before getting extremely sick.  I have always been healthy with a few things such as asthma, which has been totally under control and orthopedic surgeries.  I have had my share of normal colds, etc. where I didn't feel good.  However, this kind of sick is something I NEVER want to deal with ever again.  I truly have never been this sick.  There were days when I couldn't get out of bed and days where I had to help just walking.

Turns out that radiation and the diverticulitis and my intestines were bitter enemies.  I was referred to a gastrointestinal doctor who told me that the side effects of what I was dealing with could be life threatening.   That was enough for me.  Dr. Bhoola, my gynecologist/oncologist said no more.   I really didn't have to go through radiation, but I was trying to do everything that would help to clear me and have the least chance for it reoccurring.

I ended up one night in the ER with my blood pressure being 70 over 50--not good.   They kept me and gave me fluids with electrolytes.

For three weeks, I went to Dr. Bhoola's office and received a two hour infusion of electrolytes and vitamins because I was so depleted. 

During this four week period, I gained 20 pounds then lost it.  Then during the infusions, I was gaining two to three pounds a day from the water.   We stopped the infusions a week ago Friday and I lost 20 pounds over the weekend.    I was very glad to lose that weight because I certainly don't want to gain weight, but we had a Governing Board meeting that night.  I was afraid that I would have to call in and say I had to miss the meeting because I didn't have pants that weren't too tight!   Dodged that bullet!!!

Between the infusions and getting a lot of rest, I am finally feeling much better.  The infusions restored all of the vitamins and electrolytes that I was missing.

This week I had my appointment with Dr. Bhoola. I asked Judy to go with me because I don't always "hear" everything that is said and she has knowledge that I don't have.

It was a very positive appointment.  I asked him about the percentages that I was given at the beginning by radiologist about how much a difference getting radiation would make. He told me that those are just statistics and every case is different.  My particular kind of cancer reacts very well to the kind of chemo that I am getting and that radiation doesn't make that much of a difference with the type I have.   It was my choice to go through it--not his recommendation.  He said that he is confident that my treatment plan is the best for me.  I trust Dr. Bhoola implicitly and I truly like him and respect him.   During one of the weekends when I was so sick, he had given me his cell number.  I never want to abuse anything, but I had to call him.  I texted him and he called me within an hour.

It has been a much better week.   I still don't have much strength and tend to tire out very quickly, but I have been able to at least get myself some water and do a few things.  Believe me, that is a huge improvement,

Next Wednesday, I start the last of the three chemos which will be three weeks apart.  I should be done by mid May.  They will do a PET Scan and Dr. Bhoola said for us to plan our summer in Montana.

After this experience, I found out that no matter how strong you think you are, you might not be.  I had some pretty down days emotionally as well as physically,  I am not quite back physically, but I am emotionally.

TO BE CONTINUED..............................!

0 remarks: