Friday, April 15, 2022

Scale Up--Scale Down

 


Without going into a lot of detail,  there was a period of about three weeks when I was doing the radiation and before they decided to stop, that I was retaining water like crazy and at the same time losing electrolytes to a dangerous level.   During that period of time, I was getting two hours a day of infusions of electrolytes at Dr. Bhoola's office as my blood count showed that there were some very serious issues.  Each day I was gaining between two and three pounds.  So over a three week period of time in February and March, there were three different times that I gained over 25 pounds and then lost it.  It wasn't fun to go in see that I gained two to three pounds when I was hardly eating.  I did know that it was water weight because of the infusions but it was still demoralizing.  This is a very long story so I am just going to tell the part of the story that was humorous.

In late March just before I was scheduled for chemo, I went in for an infusion.  Once again I had gained another three pounds putting me higher than I have been in many years.  The nurse said that we wouldn't do any more infusions until and unless Dr. Bhoola felt it was needed.  That was a Friday.  I went in on Tuesday and was weighed and I literally lost 25 pounds over the weekend.  Although I had fluctuated several times,  I had never lost so much over a three day period.

Now to the funny part of this story--I sent a text to Shane and our Board President,  Lori.  This was in the middle of the gaining and losing.  I let them know that I may NOT be able to go to the Tuesday night meeting because my pants might be too tight (which was very true).   They, of course, had a good laugh and sent me some funny memes.   I think that was probably a new "reason" for not attending a meeting.  Tuesday came along and when I was weighed and lost so much over the weekend, now I was worried that my pants might be too loose (and they were).  But I did promise them that I would wear pants with an elastic waist band so that I wouldn't have my pants fall down in the middle of the meeting!  

What a conundrum!   Can't attend a public meeting one day because pants are too tight and maybe can't attend because pants might be too loose!

Fortunately, I have mostly maintained the lower weight (even lost a few more pounds) over the last few weeks.  I am still not eating  very well but some days are better than others!  I am trying to eat good, healthy food and have protein shakes when I absolutely don't have any appetite.  And of course, I am taking a lot of supplements.   Fortunately, my blood work was back to a normal place before I had my last chemo.

As I have said many times in my life, I have to find the humor in situations.  It helps me cope!!

TO BE CONTINUED..............................! 

0 remarks: