Saturday, April 16, 2022

Swimming--Finally Some Exercise


When this "c" journey began in the early fall, I was able to walk and get some exercise.   Right after the hysterectomy, I was able to walk.  I tried to make it an extra block or two a day.  For several weeks, I was getting fairly good exercise under the circumstances.  

After chemo started and then my bout with all of the side effects of radiation, I absolutely did not have the energy to walk.  There were times when I didn't have the energy to get out of bed, let alone take a walk somewhere.  The other issue along with the lack of energy, was that I have been a bit unsteady on my feet.  I know most of this is due to the weakness from treatment, but some of it still has to do with the issues I have had had with my feet through the years.  So basically, I have done no exercise in several months.  For someone who did a lot of walking prior, this has worried me.

When we got out pool several years ago, I wanted a heater put in.  For all of those years, I swam almost every night between March and October as swimming as always been one of my favorite activities.

I called and talked to the nurse at the doctor's office to find out if it is okay for me to swim.  There was a point (and my chemo brain doesn't remember exactly) when I couldn't swim our take a bath.  I just decided I would make sure if it was okay.  She asked me a few questions and talked to the NP and I was told it would be absolutely fine.

So I went for a swim and was it ever wonderful.  I was able to swim a few laps and actual get a little bit of exercise.   The pool wasn't quite as warm as I would have liked it, but it still felt good and we will get that adjusted!  I felt so good when I got out and I wasn't tired.  Was I ever relaxed!  My goal (as long as I am feeling good) is to try to get a swim in every day.  As Dave reminded me, I tend to overdo things when I start to feel a bit better.  I promised him I would pace myself.

I feel like I accomplished a real feat today and does it feel good!!

To Be Continued.........................!

0 remarks: