Saturday, December 2, 2017

GPS Town Halls

This morning I had the privilege to once again facilitate a Gilbert Public Schools Town Hall.   I think this is the fourth one we have done.  It is a new concept and will take some time to get the word out there.  I am hoping we can record them so that people can watch them who couldn't be there.

Today's was on athletics and music.  The panel was made up of a parent, three students and teachers and administrators. It was amazing.

The young man who spoke is a football player who said he is first a student. He has an athletic scholarship to Stanford, which speaks volumes about his talent and his academics.  The two young ladies on the panel were amazing.  One talked about being such an introvert and then getting into drama and coming out of her shell.  She has a scholarship to NAU and will be majoring in a biomedical field.  However, she still wants to do acting.

The other young lady is the granddaughter of one of my most amazing IA's at Gilbert El.  She is an honors student and an athlete at Gilbert High.  She tore her ACL in August and is in the process of recovery.  She also will be going to NAU.

Nick Cornell, coach and teacher at Campo Verde spoke about the importance of coaches and it being more than a sport.  It was to mold  young people into becoming productive adults.  Nick was our GPS teacher of the year this past year.  I have known him for sometime and he is "a class act" in every sense of the word.

Jenny Nichols, who taught at Gilbert El, talked about the importance of music as did Lee Meschino from Islands.  I have had the privilege of knowing these two amazing teachers for many years.

I am so proud that GPS has still funded the arts and continues to see the importance of the "whole" child.  That has always been my vision.   

I love the role that I am playing now.  And I love the direction our district is headed in.  It is an honor!!!

0 remarks: