Sunday, December 31, 2017

Reflecting on 2017

I have to say that I am glad 2017 is over.   It seems as I get older, I am more anxious for a new year to start.

2017 brought a lot of changes, some good and some very sad.  I will start with the sad ones and go to the good ones.

We lost our incredible aunt Teresa on July 2.  It was a blessing as her last many months were not the best.  She was not the person we knew.  Even though she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, at 94, is it really that or is it just old age and dementia?  However, as with Alzheimer's and the saying that you lose someone twice--once when they do not have cognitive abilities anymore and then when they pass.  I believe that.

The one consolation I (we) have is that we did the very best for her during this difficult time.

But 2017 was the end of an era.  Our family has been in southern Arizona since 1903 and in Douglas since 1912.  The family home (858) was purchased in 1918 by our grandfather.  I had the privilege of growing up there.  My kids spent their summers there as did many of our cousins.  But the best part for me was the time that I spent down there with Teresa from 2010 to 2015.   

I spent a little over two weeks in October in Douglas cleaning out almost 100 years of "things."  I had help from Judy, Ken, Kerri, Cecilia and Jay.  However, I was there the whole time and got it done, even though I had dreaded it for many years.  The house sold immediately and it closed the end of November.  There is a new family living there now and I hope that they love it like we did.

Losing Teresa was harder for me that losing my mom.  I am not sure why, because my mom was the best and we were close.  I think it is because I had her much longer in my life and I lived with her for five wonderful years.

This is really not the same, but I lost my Lucy pug last March.  She had been with me through some very trying times and was my loyal companion.  I miss her, too.

The good things were my year on the GPS Board.  Much happened, but I believe for the greater good of a wonderful school district.  We have our new superintendent who truly understands the importance of relationships.  I think we are back on track to having GPS be one of the best districts anywhere.  We just need to work on the legislature to make them understand the importance of funding public education.

I won't even begin to get into the national politics.  All I can say is my mom would be absolutely appalled by what is happening.  I am concerned that we have lost focus on caring about people.  I hope I am wrong.

So here is to 2018.  I am hoping for better times in many ways.  It is so hard for me to imagine that I am the age I am.  I never thought about this part of my life and I hope that I can do it right!!

0 remarks: