Tuesday, August 29, 2017

94 Years Remembered in 94 Days-Post 53 (My kids, their grandma and Teresa)






Today is Kerri's 43rd birthday.   It is also for our family the first birthday celebration that we will have since Teresa died.    Over the last two years and many before, she would be here or we would be going to the cabin to celebrate both Kerri's and Cameron's birthdays.

Teresa's actual 95th birthday was on Sunday, July 30.   I called Judy in the morning and said that it seemed so weird that we weren't going out to dinner for her birthday.  So we decided to go out to celebrate her life.

My mom and Teresa were instrumental in the raising of both of my kids.   As I have said before, we spent most summers in Douglas when the kids were little.  We would lock up our Mesa house as soon as school was out and go back just before school started.    My kids benefited from all that a small town has to offer for kids in the summer.

They took tennis and swimming lessons.   They participated in the library programs and any other parks and rec programs available.   They swam in the pool in the backyard and then at the pool at the 8th street park.   We spent a lot of time at the cabin.  Usually Teresa would go with us.   My mom didn't really like to spend the night, but she would drive up for the day and eat with us.

When I was working on my Master's Degree, they went to Douglas without me.  I was taking 12 hours and working full time so I needed the time.

Being a single parent, they were always there to help me when I needed assistance of any kind.

My mom was crazy about them, but she was very strict with them.   Teresa was the one they went to when "they wanted something."    And they always got it, I am fairly sure.

Kerri and my mom had a great relationship, but they were so much alike.   Both had to get the last word in!!  I remember one day when my mom was at our house and she and Kerri were arguing about something.   She threw her shoe at Kerri and it made a small dent in the wall.   When I did remodeling, I had the dent kept as a "momento" to remember that.   That same day, Kerri went downstairs and both of them tried to get the last word in.  It was funny to me!!

Both of my kids were great when my mom was sick.   They both made sure that Teresa got back and forth from Douglas during that time.

So happy birthday today, Kerri.   I know both your grandma and Teresa are looking down and are very proud of you.    I know I am!

0 remarks: