Thursday, September 28, 2017

94 Years Remembered in 94 Day--Post 83 (Sister Ann Patrice)

Last Saturday I received an email that meant a whole lot to me.   It was from Sister Ann Patrice who was my principal at Loretto School in Douglas.  I have kept in touch with her through the years.  At my age, to still have a teacher or a principal still around is amazing.    Especially one who meant so much to me.   I loved her then and I love her now.   She is an Adrian (Michigan) Dominican and is in their retirement home in Michigan.   Here is what the email said:

Dear Sheila,

After so many years Teresa has gone to her eternal home.You were very faithful to her. I am sorry for you but happy for her. It’s what we live our whole lives to receive.

I was grateful to receive the word about Teresa. Actually the last couple of weeks have been a little rough on my system; in fact ‘d be glad to trade a couple of my parts for new models. Maybe it’s a new medication the doctor has prescribed.  I‘ve been around a long time so we’ll
see  what God has planned.

How are you doing these days? I hope your life is settled into a peaceful rhythm. You’ve had a lot of changes. You are in my prayers. Please share my sympathy with Judy.

Love and prayers,
S. Ann Patrice


I responded back to her immediately about how much her email and words mean to me.   When I first went to Douglas, she sent me a beautiful email and I did a post on it then.  She talked about how important working with children on the border is and how much she loved her time in Douglas.    

Here is what she wrote then:


Dear Sheila,

Art Atonna and Jerry Reidy very kindly let me know about your new position in Douglas Public Schools.

Congratulations on your new appointment! I am confident that you will fulfill this new challenge with wisdom, courage, and grace. Your generosity in leaving what I understand to be a comfortable and secure position to accept one that will have unique challenges, confirms in my mind that you have what it takes to make a difference in the lives of our children and families on the border. Most of all, your faith will be your firm foundation. God's children--and we all are that--deserve caring and effective leadership, which I know you will exhibit. I still have very fond memories of Loretto and the people of Douglas.

Sheila, I promise my prayers for you. Moreover, I will place your name in the Book of Intentions in St. Catherine Chapel here at our Adrian Dominican motherhouse. Please give my love to your family and save lots for you.

Peace, love and prayers,
S. Ann Patrice Remkus OP
  
This email came right after I moved to Douglas in 2010.

In this post I also want to share something that happened when Bishop Kicanus came to Douglas.  At the time he was the Bishop of the Diocese of Tucson.   He is truly a humanitarian and I love this story, as did Teresa.

This is what I posted in August, 2010:

Last week, my assistant superintendent and I went to the funeral of the husband of one of our district teachers. As we were driving down 15th Street, we passed St. Luke's Church which is the parish that our family has belonged to for over 55 years. The pastor was walking out with two other men. Bonnie, my assistant, said that one of the men was the Bishop of the Diocese of Tucson. She had met him when he came down to say the Funeral Mass for Rob Krentz, the rancher who was murdered down here last spring. The funeral mass was at the Douglas High School Gym and Bonnie was the principal of the high school at the time. We pulled over and went to talk to Bishop Kicanas and Father Gilbert. The Bishop remembered Bonnie. He was down here for the opening and dedication of an abused women's shelter that was just built here in Douglas.

So we took him and Father Gilbert on a tour of Douglas High School. The kids were so excited to see him and to see Bonnie. Staff members came up and introduced themselves. We went to a couple of classes and the high school students were incredible. We went to a culinary arts class and the Bishop told the students that he is a vegan and asked if they knew what that meant. They did. Right after that, we went to the special ed class with the more involved students. They also do some work with the culinary arts class. Several of the students knew Father Gilbert and were excited to see him. The kids were also glad to meet the Bishop. One student who had been drooling came over to say hi. His teacher wiped his mouth with a cloth and the Bishop walked over to him and shook his hand and talked to him!!

Needless to say, I was "blown away" by the whole experience. I called my Phoenix cousins to tell them about this and of course, called Teresa.

Today when I got to my office I had a card in my mail. It said,  

"Sheila, thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule to give me a chance to visit Douglas High School. Economic challenges have made your important job even more difficult. Our community needs strong educational leadership. Thanks for your service." Gerald Kicanas.



I feel so blessed to know both of these religious leaders and know their compassion and humility.   

Sister Ann Patrice will ALWAYS hold a special place in my heart. 

  

0 remarks: