Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Trip to California (There is still a 94 Day post--just scroll down!)

Kerri and I drove out to Oakland Saturday morning.   When Cameron and I came in August, Cameron decided that he would like to stay with Patrick until he goes into the Air Force sometime later this year.   He talked to Kerri and to Patrick and they both liked the idea.   For me, I think it is great and so glad that he and Patrick have some time together.  Plus, I believe, that it will give him a start in the "moving out" process.   I have to say I have missed him, though.   But the good thing about technology now is that people can communicate daily, hourly, etc. 

I flew back to Gilbert and had a very busy week. We had something board related or community related ALL week.   I didn't get much rest, but it was good to be back into the volunteer work that I have really enjoyed.   

When Teresa was declining, Cameron had been Judy's backup in taking care of her.  We decided to wait having him go into the Air Force until after she was gone because it would have been too hard on him to not be here for that.    Their relationship was incredible.  

He scored so high on the armed forces test that we have people in uniforms knocking on our door fairly often.   I am happy that they are the police!!!   Cameron is a great kid and he qualified for many top level jobs.   He is going to go to Linguistics school and learn a language that will help our country and our national security.  What a bright future he has.   He will also get at least two years of college in and possibly even  his degree before he gets out.  Plus he will have the ability to help pay for his college once he is out.  I am so proud of him!!

The day of Teresa's burial in Douglas, August 5, I lost my voice in the afternoon after doing her second eulogy.    On Monday, it wasn't better so I went to urgent care.  Doctor took x-rays to determine it wasn't pneumonia and treated me for bronchitis with steriods and an antibiotic.   Still didn't feel bad.   My voice came and went for the next week.   When it came back, it was still not very good, but at least I could talk.  By the following week, I wasn't any better so I went to my primary care physician.  She gave me a steriod shot and another round.  In the past, steriods have been a miracle drug for me.  She also gave me an inhaler.   Still not much luck.   It was now starting to wear me down.   I can feel the congestion in my lungs and ever since my asthma has been "cured," I have that feeling.   So after I was in Oakland, I decided to go to my allergist.   She did a test to determine if there was an infection and/or a virus.    Both came back negative.   It appears to be just being very tired and run down.  So today marks one full month of this.  I want it to be gone as it is really hard trying to breathe.

Tomorrow I leave and drive down the coast by myself.  I am going to spend two days in Pismo Beach on the beach and two days in Long Beach.  I plan on doing NOTHING but reading and resting!    I hope that will take care of this.  It appears to be better, but I have never had anything last this long like this.

But back to our road trip.   When we left, we planned on taking two days to get to Oakland.  We had Pedro, Cam's pug, with us along with things that he needed to stay here for a few months.    

Getting through the Los Angeles area was a nightmare.   There were two fires that we passed close by and one is the worst fire in California history.     The first one was close to San Bernadino and the smoke actually blocked the sun.   The second one was the worst one, but it didn't look as bad as the first one.  We were a bit nervous about the freeway being closed but we made it okay.



I had not made hotel reservations because of Pedro and not knowing how far we were going to get.  We wanted to make it past Magic Mountain as hotels were full and expensive because of Labor Day weekend.

I haven't driven this way in a very long time.  I didn't realize we were truly going to be in the "middle of no where" California.   With all of the technology we have, we couldn't find a hotel or even the name of a place to stay.  Cameron was helping us.  By 7 we just decided to stay in some small place that would let us have dogs.   It was not your typical "high end motel" that is for sure.   But we found a good BBQ restaurant and had a good night's sleep.

We got to Oakland around noon in the middle of their heat wave.  Wow!  Was it ever warm!!  The only good thing is that it cools down at night (sort of).

Had a great day yesterday and I will be taking Kerri to the airport in a bit.  Patrick wants tacos for dinner so I will be going to get the "fixings" for that in a bit.  

I am really enjoying the time I get to spend out here.    Love the little restaurant I found down by the bay.   I love the character of Patrick's home and I love the location.   



However, I am looking forward to my trip down the coast and to take my time.  I have given myself and extra day to get home just in case there are any issues with the fire.   Have to be back in Gilbert for all day interviews on Tuesday for our new superintendent.  Looking forward to that.   

I am also looking forward to hopefully getting my lungs functioning well again.  I haven't been walking because it has been too difficult to breathe and I have missed that.  I HAVE to get back to it.

Anyway, this may be one of the few times over the next several years that we will all get to be together for awhile.   And that has been most important!!

0 remarks: