Thursday, September 28, 2017

Some Very Sad News Today (94 Days Post below)

I received some very sad news this morning.   Carol, my secretary in Douglas, let me know that Chuck Hoyack passed away this morning.   Chuck was the Board President when I was hired in Douglas.   During the tough times in Douglas, Chuck was always so kind to me and always very supportive.

I love the whole Hoyack family.   Alvina, his wife, is an incredible lady.   Casey and Patrick, his sons are both awesome  young men.   When Teresa died and we asked them if they would be the altar boys although they are both grown and of course they agreed to be the altar boys!   That meant a lot to me!

Casey is currently teaching at Douglas High School and Patrick just started at Cochise College.    He and I communicate regularly as he would send me updates on his dad and his own battle with thyroid cancer.  He recently asked me for my opinion on something that he was writing a paper on for one of his classes at Cochise College.  I am going to post a very touching video about Patrick at the end of this.  Both these young men hold and will always hold a very special place in my heart!

About an hour ago,  I received a phone call from Patrick.  He wanted me to know about his dad.   We talked for about 20 minutes and I told him how much I cared about his dad and his whole family.   I am glad I will be in Douglas for the next two weeks so that I can attend the services.    

The picture below is from last May.  Patrick and his mom came over one of the nights that we had the Gilbert and Douglas kids in the backyard.


Here is a post that I did when I was in Douglas.  I told the boys about this recently and they didn't know it.   I still have this compass and it means a lot to me.


For some reason, I haven't been keeping up with my blog writing like I have in the past. I think I may have a bit of a "writer's block." However, this has even carried over into my love of reading. I haven't read for awhile until this afternoon. Although I am busy, I don't think that is the reason. Maybe the quiet afternoon today without having to go to the valley, Tucson, or any place else and the time I spent actually reading a new book, will help to unlock whatever has kept me from this blog. I hope so, because I miss reading and I miss writing.

I have actually been thinking about writing about this gift for some time now. Maybe trying to make sure that I impart what I want to say has been formulating in my mind and how I will be able to get it down into words...................

Just before Christmas, I went to lunch with our Governing Board President. He was instrumental in me being named the Superintendent of Schools down here. His term of office was up the first of January. He had been an invaluable support for my first six months on the job.

He had a gift bag to give me with some words of wisdom behind the gift. He told me that it was not an expensive gift, but it came with a lot of meaning. So I opened it and found a hunter's compass. Mr. H. is a hunter and he told me that he believes that not only does one need a compass when out in the wilderness, but also in our daily lives.

He said that he has always found that you need to know what direction you are going in and then forge ahead in that direction without deviating. He wanted me to have this gift to help me when times are tough and decisions have to be made.

I was very touched with this gift for many reasons. I know that people in a position of leadership must have a sense of what direction they need to be headed in. John Maxwell said that "A Leader is one who knows the way, goes the way, and shows the way." I absolutely agree with that quote. I also believe that includes the courage to especially "go" the way.

I have thought of this gift over the last few months, but more importantly, I have thought about the words that went along with it.

There have already been many, many decisions that have had to be made--some minor, but many of them have been major. Although I have had to make decisions in my life and career in the past, none have had the potential to impact so many people like they do now.

I have also thought about his words about seeing the direction where you are headed and not deviating from that direction. While I agree with him on this, I also feel that sometimes a detour must be taken in order to get to the final destination. That detour might take me off course for a time, but I also think it provides me time to "see other sights" along the way.

I will always cherish the gift of this compass and the words that went along with the gift. I hope that I will always have the wisdom to know that I am headed in the right direction and the courage to make sure that I follow that path--even with a detour here and there!!

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can, And wisdom to know the difference."



Here the link to the story about Patrick.  It is worth the watch.

Douglas Player Fighting Cancer Inspires Team & Entire Cochise County:

0 remarks: