Thursday, September 14, 2017

94 Years Remembered in 94 Days-Post 69 (Call for jury duty)






Got back from a little over a week trip to California on Sunday.   Took Cameron's things out as he is staying in Oakland until he goes into the Air Force.    Kerri flew back and I drove back down the coast.  I have posted about having a very relaxing time.

When I got back on Sunday, I was going through the mail.   Found these two summons for Teresa to report for Jury Duty on October 16.   I remember as a kid, she served on a grand jury for about six months.  I distinctly remember there was a really big case and the defendants showed up at our house one night.   I know how upset everyone was.  I was very young and don't remember exactly what happened, but I remember it was a big deal and she had to report it.

When we first came up here from Douglas in 2015, both Teresa and I were summoned to US District court in Tucson.  I was first and I let them know that I couldn't do it because I was taking care of her.  So I was excused.   Then she got one and I had to call and let them know she was 90 something and had dementia, so she was excused.   We were both "let off of the hook" so to speak at that time.

When I saw this Sunday, some how it tickled me.    I know Sheriff Joe has been pardoned, but she would have loved to be on that jury.    

As I have said before, I didn't realize what I was getting into making the commitment for 94 posts, but  things have happened that are making it easier and easier.   I may go beyond the 94.   

She (and my mom) always believed in their civic duty.  I know serving on a grand jury is a huge time commitment and I absolutely remember that night that the people came to the house.   

I got a bit of a laugh on this summons!!!  I called today and they took her name off of their rolls.

0 remarks: