Saturday, November 18, 2017

Arizona School Personnel Administrators of the Year

On Thursday, I drove to Prescott to attend the evening celebration for the Arizona Association of School Personnel Administrators' Association.  The reason I went was because two of our wonderful administrators received Administrators' of the Year from the association--Shawn McIntosh and Missy Udall. They didn't know that they had been nominated nor that they had received the award.  I was invited because I had written a letter (below) on their behalf.

I got up there early afternoon and went for a walk and then looked around.  I stopped at the Prescott Brewery and had a beer.  While I was sitting there, in walked Shawn's wife, Alisha, and Kellie and Holly, their secretaries.   We were all there to surprise them.

I had such a good time with those three ladies.  We ended up going out to dinner before having to be at the ceremony at 7:30.  When we got there, we had to wait out side of the room until it was time for the award to be announced.   Missy's husband joined us as well as Shane, our new superintendent.   Shane couldn't stay as he had an early morning commitment, but he knew the importance of being there for this huge honor for Shawn and Missy and for GPS!

Makes me proud!!



October 4, 2017

Arizona School Personnel Administrators Association
Attn: Mr. Justin Wing
Washington Elementary School District
4650 W. Sweetwater
Glendale, AZ 85304

Dear Mr. Wing:

It is a privilege for me to write this letter of recommendation for Shawn McIntosh and Missy Udall to be co-recipients of the 2017 Arizona School Personnel Administrators Association Award.    

I was employed in Gilbert Public Schools for 39 years from 1971 until 2010.  During my tenure in GPS, I was Interim Director of Personnel for approximately 14 months before becoming an elementary principal.  I am mentioning this because I understand the complexities of this extremely important position in a District.

After leaving Gilbert, I spent five years as Superintendent of the Douglas Unified School District retiring in 2015.  I successfully ran for the Gilbert Governing Board in 2016.

Through my 45 plus years, I have had the privilege to work with many very talented administrators.  I consider Shawn McIntosh and Missy Udall as two of the best administrators that I have ever had the privilege to see in action.

I have known both Missy and Shawn since they were children.  They were both students at the elementary school where I was a teacher.  Missy and Shawn have a unique bond having been friends since elementary school.

During my time as a principal in Gilbert, I saw both of them as teachers.   Later we became colleagues as principals.  I had the utmost respect for their leadership at their respective schools.  Both of them had respect from their colleagues, teachers, staff, students and parents.

Both of them went to the District positions after I left.  My first year after I retired, I had the honor of substituting for a principal who was undergoing chemotherapy. That experience was an exceptional one and I was able to see first hand what Missy and Shawn are all about.  I have also interacted with both of them as Governing Board President.

Working in this particular department is probably one of the most difficult positions in a District. Much of their job is related to employees who are having some problems.  I have seen first hand that both of them treat each issue with empathy and compassion. However, sometimes these issues don’t turn out in the most positive light. Both of them understand this and they are able to make sure that each person is treated with dignity and respect no matter what.

GPS has suffered a number of years of turmoil for a variety of reasons.  Both Shawn and Missy stayed in the District and were extremely professional despite some very difficult situations.   When I was trying to make up my mind as to whether or not I would even run for the Board, Shawn and Missy were an absolute factor in my decision to run.  And that is because I believe that GPS needs quality administrators such as these two.  During this time of turmoil, both of them were “recruited” by other districts.  It would have been easy for them to leave, but they are dedicated to GPS.   And that is wonderful for GPS.

In the last four months, we have had new leadership in Dr. Suzanne Zentner, who has served as our Interim Superintendent.  Because of this transition in leadership, I have seen both Shawn and Missy be able to take off with their goals for our Office of Talent Management. I believe that their potential is unlimited.  With our new superintendent in place, I see great things to come from both of them.  They are truly a team and collaborate together.   Neither of them wants to take credit for anything—they just want to do what is best for the District.

Both of them are very involved in the community and many different levels.   Their work ethic is second to none.   They collaborate together and both of them have a unique vision and the talent to take this vision to fruition.

Once again, my 45 plus years of education have provided me the opportunity to work with many incredible administrators.   Shawn and Missy are two of the finest administrators ever.  I give both of them my absolute highest recommendation.  Please don’t hesitate to contact me at 520 368 2700 should you have any further questions.

Respectfully,

Sheila Rogers
Retired Educator
GPS Governing Board President

0 remarks: