Wednesday, November 15, 2017

November 15, 1957--60th Anniversary of our Grandma Scott's Death

Today is the 60th anniversary of my Grandma Scott's death.  I was in third grade.  I wrote about this on a previous post.   I found this article in one of the boxes from Douglas.

City Woman Dies in Phoenix
Death claimed a well-known pioneer resident of Douglas about 7:30 p.m. Friday while she was visiting her son in Phoenix.  She was Mrs. Katherine Agnes (should have been Ellen) Scott, 858 14th St.

Born in Easton, Pa., April 7, 1882, Mrs. Scott moved to Leadville, Colo., five years later, and was married there in 1902. The family moved to Douglas in 1912, remaining here since that time.

Mrs. Scott was active in St. Luke's Altar Society, the auxiliary to the order of Railway Conductors and the Trainmen Ladies.
 
Surviving her are four sons, John Scott of 858 14th St., Matthew Scott in Phoenix, Thomas J. Scott in Washington, D.C., William F. Scott in Sacramento, California (should have been San Francisco); three daughters, Mrs. Dorothy  Park of Sacramento, Calif.,  Mrs. Margaret Shannon and Miss Teresa Scott of 858 14th St.; 22 grandchildren and two great grandchildren.

Funeral arrangements are pending and will be announced by Brown-Page.  Internment will be in Calvary Cemetery.

November 15, 1912 was Dot's birthday.  I can't imagine losing someone on one's birthday.

I love this picture of my grandma and me.  She was such a special person in my early years.  She was the person who made me a reader as she always read to me.  And Teresa was the one who bought all of my books during my years growing up.  I belonged to several book clubs where I would get a book delivered every month.




0 remarks: