Friday, November 3, 2017

Voting for President

One of my absolute favorite stories about Teresa is about the 2008 presidential election.  She told me this story one day and didn't want me to tell anyone.  I believe it is the worst thing that she ever did in her life and it really was NOT bad.  I am sure she went to confession right after.  

Let me give a little background on this.  In 2004 when John Kerry was running for president, the church came out about voting for candidates who were "not" pro life.   Teresa said she wasn't going to vote because she couldn't vote for George Bush. My kids had a fit and told her that their grandma would be really upset with her if she didn't vote for Kerry.   We talked about it because it was hard for her to go against what the church said.  Part of the conversation involved what happens to children after they are born and that the people who are "pro life" sometimes forget that social services and education are important.  She voted for Kerry and never worried about voting for who she wanted after that.  Interestingly enough, John Kerry is a Catholic.

Teresa had a good friend who was legally blind and also a Republican.  In the 2008 election, her friend asked Teresa to fill out her mail-in ballot. Well, guess what our dear aunt Teresa did--yes, she voted for Obama and other Democrats!!!  When she told me about it, she said she just could not mark the spot for a Republican.

She also told me that she always felt just a little guilty about it. We laughed about it through the years but she still didn't want me to tell anyone about it.   Of course, I LOVE this story and it was hard not to tell it.  

I think I am safe now!!

0 remarks: