Monday, November 6, 2017

Tiger Buddies and My Favorite Pasttime--Reading

One of the programs that was started during my tenure as principal at Gilbert Elementary was the Tiger Buddy program.  This is a mentoring program where an adult is the buddy to one of the students who may need a little more or different attention.

Through the years, it was an incredibly successful program.  Because of the proximity to the district office, many of the adult buddies were district office staff.

There were many times during my years as principal that I would talk to a child about an issue and find out about another situation.  I would often call the tiger buddy and give them a heads up to maybe make contact with their buddy.

My first year back from Douglas, I had a buddy.  I didn't feel that I did a very good job.  With all that was going on with taking care of Teresa, etc., I didn't have one last year.  When I was asked this year, I hesitated but was "urged" to please do it.  I said yes.

The kick-off party to meet tiger buddies was when I was in Douglas packing up the house.  One of the wonderful ladies at the district office covered for me that day.   When I got back, I went to meet her.   She is a fourth grader and is really cute.  Today I had lunch with her and one of her friends.  It was really fun and I know it is something so very important for some kids--the gift of time.

After lunch, I stopped by a former teacher's room who I hadn't seen for a long time just to say hi.  She was so excited to see me and asked if I would stay and read to the class.  She explained to the kids who I was and they were so cute.  So I read my second favorite book, "The Language of Doves."  The kids were amazing and so attentive.   



To me, this is what it is all about. This is probably the only "perk" I have as a Governing Board member.  I can go to any school and be welcomed to read.

0 remarks: