Friday, November 24, 2017

Thanksgiving, 2017

This was the first Thanksgiving without Teresa.  We decided to do a small "celebration" with just Judy, Kerri, Chris and I.  Ken is flying so he won't be home.  

On Wednesday, Judy let me know that she got the final papers for selling 858.  She will go today and have them notarized and sent back and that will be it.  A new family will be moving into the house.    She feels it will be hard and I am glad I don't have to sign them.  She sent me the papers to look over for the closing.   Everything that has happened has made it real, but this truly is final. 

I made the dressing on Wednesday.  We are having turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, squash, salad and beer breed.  I always made my mom's recipe for candied sweet potatoes to take to the feast with the family.  I don't like it and no one else does, so I won't be making it.

When I went to Sam's on Wednesday, I went by the very large table of pumpkin pies.  In the past, I always bought two them because Cameron loves them.  I didn't this year.  It will be the first Thanksgiving without him, too.  He and Patrick are going to one of Patrick's friends for dinner.  I am really glad that they are together and that Patrick has Cameron there for this holiday.

Wednesday night I decided to set the table.  I found a pretty tablecloth from Douglas and decided to put in on the table and get it set.  I got tickled when I put it on as their are "cigarette" burns on it from my mom.  I felt it was fitting.

I didn't get the good china out, but did get my nice "Irish" dishes and wine glasses from Germany that match the dinnerware.  

We had a very nice dinner and after called Patrick and Cameron.   Did a toast to Teresa.  Last year we had dinner here at my house as it was the day after Thanksgiving that we took her to live in the group home.   So last year's Thanksgiving and this have been bitter sweet.

I was hoping to sit outside with a fire, but it was still rather warm.  I put the turkey "carcass" in the big pot and will cook it over night for the annual turkey noodle soup that we will have tomorrow night.  It will cook overnight and make the house smell so good!!

I am thankful for many thing in my life.   I am so thankful for the my mom, Teresa, Johnny, Judy, Kerri, Patrick and Cameron and our extended family. And I always thought I was so fortunate to have my mom until I was 53 years old.  My Phoenix Scott family and Sacramento Park family lost their moms when many of them were very young.  And to think that I had my "other" mother, Teresa,  for 68+ years is absolutely a blessing and another reason for me to be thankful!!

I am also thankful for my many wonderful friends and the incredible career that I had as  a public school educator.  I am grateful that I am still able to serve the wonderful children, families, administrators, teachers and staff of GPS.   I am blessed!!


0 remarks: