Sunday, November 12, 2017

Miscellaneous Finds about Family Friends

I am still going through boxes of the "things" I brought back from Douglas.  I continue to find so many amazing articles and artifacts.   Friday night I found a couple of newspapers and newspaper clippings that I was able to share with friends on Facebook.

This is the first one that I found. Art Oros went to school with Judy and is married to Lorie who taught at Gilbert El for many years.  My mom thought the world of Art.  After he graduated from college, he moved back to Douglas and worked for Phelps Dodge and Lorie taught down there.  When PD moved to Phoenix, they moved up here.  Art worked there for a few years and then went to work at Salt River Project.  My mom always "hounded" me to hire Lorie and I finally did and it was a great move on my part!!  She was Cameron's kindergarten teacher and she loves him and he loves her.

I found this in a scrapbook of my mom' memories of being on the City Council.  This was before she ran.

 BEING SWORN IN--Mayor Ben Williams Jr., left, swears in Art Oros, Ward 6 alderman, at the City Council meeting Wednesday evening.  Oros was out of town on business when the other aldermen were sworn in on June 16. The City Council will hold a special session at 5:15 p.m. this afternoon for discussion on an ambulance service contract with Cochise County.

The next ones are  from a Douglas High School newspaper called the Border Bulldog.   The newspaper is not in good condition and I can't quite figure out why it was kept as there is not much about my uncle Bill.  It is dated May 22, 1942.

Here is the first article.  I posted it on Sandra Sanders' page and Barbara Weland's page.  Both are friends from Douglas.  Bob Poston was Barb's dad and Mr. and Mrs. Tom Sanders were Tom's (Sandra's husband) parents.

 Elks' Ball To Be Given Tonight

The eight annual Elk's Ball given in honor of all graduating seniors will be held this evening from nine to twelve in the Elks' hall. The seniors received their invitations Tuesday morning in their various classes. Each senior is allowed to bring one guest.

The Elks' hall will be decorated with the school colors and refreshments will be served during the evening. Music for the evening's entertainment will be furnished by Bob Posten's orchestra.

Chaperones for the evening's event will be the following: Mr. and Mrs. Charles Johnston, Mr. and Mrs. Jay Negri. and Mr. and Mrs. Tom Sanders.
This event closes the senior year activities and will follow the senior class supper earlier in the evening.

And the final one is about Keith Jackson.  He and Bill were very good friends.  I posted it on his daughter's page.  Leslie and her mom, Pinky, are dear friends.

The sophomore officers who were elected for the year were Leonard Kimble as president, with Keith Jackson vice president, Dorothy Shinn, treasurer, Melvin Fields yell leader, Ruby Mae Whatley and Charley Reynolds girl representatives for the two semesters,and Charles Jorgenson, boy representative.  The class had a baseball throw at the Hi-Jinx carnival.

 
Everyone was so appreciative and the comments that came from their relatives and friends was amazing. 

This has been so much fun!  I love the history of our family and friends!!!!

0 remarks: