Thursday, November 16, 2017

Leadville, Colorado--1902


Another treasure that I found the other day is our grandparents' Certificate of Marriage.  They were married in Leadville, Colorado on April 23, 1902.  On the certificate, it says A.D. 189__ and it crossed out and 1902 is written above it.

The two witnesses were Patrick Golden and Catherine Nepsey.  I am not sure who Patrick was, probably a friend of Grandpa Scott.  As for Catherine "Nepsey," she had to be related to Grandma as that was Grandma Roughan's maiden name.  We have since found out the correct spelling.  It is Kneafsey.

Five of their children were born in Leadville, but three of them died.  Johnny and Matt were the other two.  I remember Teresa telling me that Grandma felt the weather was too cold there. I can't imagine losing three children.

In 2005, our cousins, Jean, Jan, and Tim, took Teresa on a road trip to Colorado.  They visited Leadville and the family houses and Catholic Church. Jan made a scrapbook for Teresa that I have.

I took pictures of the houses and the information from that scrapbook.  Here they are:














0 remarks: