Saturday, November 25, 2017

Go Devils!!

When I started to write about Teresa and the 94 days of things to remember, I made a list of things to write about never thinking that I would make 94 days easily.  But I did and have had many more.

When Notre Dame and West Virginia played in the Fiesta Bowl in 1988, my mom as able to get us great tickets for the game and entrance to a very important party because she was on the City Council in Douglas.   We had three tickets so it was Cecilia, Yaya and me.   We got to go into a tent that you had to have  food and drinks.  Kerri, Patrick, Jay and Tony were waiting for us as she was able to get us all tickets.  But not to the "exclusive" tent.  

I remember that they had a lot of food and a fountain that had margaritas. So we met there and we had a few of the drinks, but what I remember the most was Cecilia putting food in her jacket to take to Tony, Jay, Kerri and Patrick.   It was hilarious.  I think we only had two tickets and had to pay an additional $20 for Yaya to come with us.  

It was a great game and my kids always remind me that I "fell down" going up the steps in the stadium which was not an unusual thing for me!!

Notre Dame won and I remember going to find a pay phone to call my mom and let her know.

After that, Teresa wanted our family to get together so she  bought eight season tickets for the ASU games through her business.  So we spent many Saturday nights in the fall attending ASU games with Cecilia, Jay, their kids and mine, tailgating and having a wonderful time.  

Teresa was not a football fan but she was a family fan and that was what was most important to her.

Our kids grew up attending ASU game and tailgating.  It went from the Fiesta Bowl in 1987 until I went to Douglas in 2010.  I think she wanted to continue but me being gone and kids being grown made it expensive.  

I remember when ASU beat Nebraska and we went to find a phone to call my mom.  She was so excited and I was so excited to tell her.  It was an amazing evening.

Later today is the ASU/Uof A game in Tempe.  My mom WOULD NOT ALLOW me to go to Arizona and was such an ASU fan.  

I hate to watch that game because it is so hard to watch.   I am just hoping the Devils can prevail!!


A little history to this rivalry...... My entire childhood, my mom was such a die hard ASU fan.  I knew right from the beginning that when I went to college, U of A was NOT an option.  I could go to ASU or NAU.  NAU was still Arizona State Teacher's College until the year I graduated from high school (I think).  I knew that I didn't want to go where it was cold so ASU was the only choice. And I was fine with that!

The reason my mom disliked Arizona so much had to do with ASU wanting to become a university, which I think was about 1954.   The Board of Regents, which was predominately U of A graduates, blocked it.  As a result, it had to go to a vote of all of the people in Arizona to make Arizona State Teacher's College--Tempe to ASU.   My mom always said that was so ridiculous that anyone would block progress like that.  So I was not "allowed" to go to the U of A!!

Another wonderful memory!! 

Just a footnote--ASU beat the University of Arizona!!!

0 remarks: