Wednesday, November 22, 2017

November 17, 1961--Meeting JFK, LBJ and Honoring Carl Hayden

I waited until today to post this because it is the 54th anniversary of the assassination of John F. Kennedy--one of the worst days in our history.

In 1961,  Senator Carl Hayden of Arizona was being honored for 50 years in Congress. The dinner was held at the Westward Ho Hotel in downtown Phoenix.  My uncle, Tom, was there because Senator Hayden was his boss. The dinner was $100 a plate which was rather expensive in those days.

We planned to go to Phoenix to see Tom and Mary.  Then a friend of the family, Harry Ames, had a ticket and couldn't go so he gave it to Teresa.  I remember how excited she was to be able to go to this.

I was in seventh grade which would have made me 12.  I am hoping I can remember how this all happened as it was a very long time ago.

Tom and Mary were staying at the Westward Ho.   I remember going there on the day of the dinner to see them.  Somehow, we found out their was going to be a press conference that high school students were invited to attend.   My cousins, Marion and Teresa Ann, Judy (who was in first grade) went up to where the press conference was being held.   We talked to some men (they had to be Secret Service) and they let us go on up.  When we got up there, I remember telling the people at the door that I was a reporter for the Douglas High newspaper.  Teresa Ann was a year behind me in school, so Marion was truly the only plausible high school reporter.  Somehow, we got in.  

Marion knew some students at the press conference and they wanted to change places with us to be near friends.  That was great with us!!  We were in the front row, right by the cake.

We called Tom's room and told them where we were.  They didn't believe that we could be there.  My mom and Uncle Matt tried to get up where we were but couldn't get past the Secret Service!  

I will never forget when JFK, LBJ, and Senator Hayden walked in.  They were right by us.  If you look at the picture, you can see me right next to LBJ.  Teresa Ann was next to me and Judy was sitting on Marion's lap.  We were obviously the only little kids in the room!  JFK looked over at us and he winked at me.  I was thrilled beyond belief.  We got to shake his hand.

Everyone was making a fuss over Senator Hayden and the President.  LBJ was just standing there.  He looked over at us and we got up and started talking to him.  I remember him putting his arm around my shoulder and talking to us in such a kind way.

There were so many faces that I recognized in that room.  It was amazing and it truly was one of the absolute highlights of my life.

I have the picture, along with the autograph that Tom got for me from JFK, on a wall in my house.  I found the program from the dinner as well as the "Press Fact Sheet."  I also found "tickets" in Judy's name and mine to get us into the Corral Room.  I don't remember what that meant.
Over the next few days, I am going to post more about Senator Hayden and that wonderful day in November, 1961.

 

0 remarks: