Thursday, November 9, 2017

Veteran's Day 2017

This week there have been a lot of Veteran's Day assemblies at different schools. There were so many that there was no way I could get to all of them. 

At Gilbert El, we did a flag ceremony every month where the kids learned about different parts of the constitution and about the flag.  Jo Regan, one of the wonderful teachers, was in charge of this.  I always loved the table where the veteran was missing.

When I went to Douglas, the American Legion did an amazing assembly at Douglas High for Veteran's Day.  The Army Band from Fort Huachuca performed and they always were amazing.

On Wednesday, I attended the assembly at Quartz Hill Elementary.  When I got there, two young ladies were at the door to greet us.  One of them looked exactly like her mom who was in my last third grade class that I taught before I went on to become an administrator.  I knew her daughter goes to school there, but when I saw her, I knew she had to be JoLynne's daughter.  I asked her if her mom is JoLynne and she said yes, so I told her that I was her mom's teacher.  She gave me a big hug which meant a lot.  Her grandma, was Marti Farmer, who was an administrator (and friend) in GPS for a long time.  She was the founding principal of South Valley Jr. High and she died from cancer when I was in Douglas.  I posted this story to JoLynne's Facebook page and it was the highlight of my day.


The assembly was amazing.  There is a senior living center across from Quartz Hill and they do a lot with the people there which I think is so incredible for all of the kids and adults.  One of the residents was there and he was a WWII veteran.  It was very touching.

Today I went first to Playa del Rey for their Veteran's Day Celebration.  The teacher in charge of it took one of my NAU classes when I taught several years ago.  She had invited me to it.  She reminded me of something that she learned in my class and that was that if we want to make significant change, we, as educators, have to be willing to be part of that change.  It made me think that truly that is what I have been doing!  I hadn't thought about it in that context.

One of the highlights was the motorcycle group called Patriot Riders of America.  They do events for veterans.  They drove their motorcycles onto the school grounds.  It was impressive.



At both schools, the music was excellent and the children were so well behaved. Veterans were honored, as they should be.  It was so heartwarming.

After that, I went to the Town of Gilbert ceremony.  The students from Settler's Pointe Elementary entertained us at the beginning and the Campo Verde Advanced Vocal Ensemble sang the National Anthem.



All three ceremonies were PERFECT!       

0 remarks: