Thursday, June 18, 2015

The End of a Very Emotional Week

Today was my last actual physical day in DUSD.  My contract expires June 30 and I will continue to be the Superintendent until then.  I am taking the remaining days off as we have a family event in Alabama next week.

This week I have met with each of the District Office employees to thank them and to tell them how much I have appreciated working with such great people.   There were many hugs and some tears and it was so hard.   I love these people and that is why I have stayed until the very end despite the extreme difficulties that a few people have imposed.   Because of these wonderful people, I have made sure that I have finished and finished strong.

I can't remember when I have had any extended time  off.  I think it was when I was still a teacher.  Yes, I have had vacations, but it is hard to explain that there really is never down time.  Many weeks over the 26 years I have been an administrator, I had my 40 hours in by Wednesday morning.  So many night activities are part of this job.   I never had a regular lunch hour and most days worked through lunch, especially as a principal.  As an administrator, you are always on call.  As a Superintendent, that responsibility is even more all encompassing.

The fact that I don't have to get up and go to work ever again, sounds good right now.  But it is almost too good to believe.  And I know that in a few weeks, I will probably feel very differently.   But I am going to take these next few weeks to rest.

This past week, I have had four phone calls from different people about possible jobs.  And they called me, which is great.  Despite some of the difficulties here, I have made a lot of contacts and have established a very good reputation.  As a matter of fact, the very "fact" that I have stayed and held my head up high has actually enhanced my credentials.  And I have heard that is because of the lack of credibility of the people who make the attacks.  So that is a good thing.

After some rest, I know I will be anxious to see what the next phase of my life might bring.  I know that whatever it is, it will be just as great as the past 44 years.  

What an incredible and amazing career I have had!   I have been so touched by the comments made by so many people down here !!   I will always value these past five years so much!!!

0 remarks: